Wed March 12, 2014
SXSW Traffic is Terrible. This Street Closure Map Might Help.
Update: Starting today, it’s going to get even tougher to get around downtown. That’s because the music portion of South by Southwest is now underway.
The City of Austin is closing off several exits from I-35 to downtown. Starting at 10 a.m. on Wednesday:
- The I-35 NB and SB exits at Cesar Chavez will be closed.
- The I-35 SB exit at 8th Street will be closed.
- The I-35 NB exit at 6th Street will be closed.
Original Story (March 6, 2014): SXSW provides a great opportunity for people to see bands, films and hobnob with bigwigs in the tech industry.
But road closures in downtown Austin may pose a problem for some travelers.
Here's some of the big ones:
- Friday March 7th: Sixth Street, Trinity between Fourth and Cesar Chavez, and streets between Cesar Chavez and River Street that lie between Waller Creek Park and IH 35 will be fully closed and parts of Fourth and Red River and Fifth and Seventh between Brazos and IH 35 will partially be closed.
- Sunday, March 9th: Barton Springs Road, Stratford Drive, and Lou Neff Road will likely be closed.
- Monday March 10th: Bouldin Avenue, Dawson Road, and Christopher and Third Street between Barton Springs and Gibson will be anticipated closures.
- Tuesday, March 11th: Riverside Drive between Lamar and First Street, Red River between Eighth and Tenth Street, and Fifth Street between IH 35 and Waller will be fully closed. Eighth Street between Trinity and IH 35 and Tenth Street between Trinity and Red River are anticipated partial closures.
Traveling does not have to be difficult. Here are some options for Austin transportation:
Click here for a full-scale map.
Life & Arts