Fort Hood
4:55 pm
Thu May 24, 2012

Soldier Found Guilty in Fort Hood Bomb Plot

Naser Jason Abdo, a Muslim-American soldier, was convicted by a jury in Waco today of attempting to blow up a restaurant in Killeen that was popular among soldiers at Fort Hood. The Associated Press broke the news this afternoon.

The Waco jury convicted Pfc. Naser Jason Abdo of the most serious charge, attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction, which could land him in prison for life. Abdo also was convicted of attempted murder of U.S. officers or employees, and four counts of possessing a weapon in furtherance of a federal crime of violence.

The Austin-American Statesman sent a reporter to cover the trial and said jurors deliberated for only about an hour. None of them would talk to reporters afterwards.  

Prior to his arrest last year, Abdo was profiled by ABC News because of his efforts to avoid deployment to Afghanistan as a conscientious objector.  

“I really do think he is the best soldier in our battalion hands down,” U.S. Army Specialist Arnold Mendez told ABC News in 2010. 

Tags: