Obama in Austin: Road Closures and Detours Ahead
President Barack Obama will campaign in San Antonio and Austin today, where he has four fundraisers planned to raise money big money.The visit is expected to cause traffic problems in Austin during this evening’s rush hour.
While Air Force One is scheduled to touch down in Austin around 4:25 p.m., the exact route of the president’s motorcade is classified for security reasons. Consequently, no one’s sure just how bad any resultant traffic tie-ups will be.
Capital Metro service will be detoured within the following perimeters: Fifth Street, Congress, Lamar and Riverside.
From around 1 p.m. until approximately 8 p.m., the following nine bus routes are scheduled to be detoured:
- #3 Burnet/Manchaca (southbound)
- #110 South Central Flyer (southbound)
- #171 Oak Hill Flyer (northbound & southbound)
- #935 Tech Ridge Express (northbound)
- #970 Lantana Express
- #982 Pavilion Express (northbound & southbound)
- #983 N. U.S. 183 Express (northbound & southbound)
- #985 Leander/Lakeline Direct (northbound)
- #987 Leander/NW Express (northbound)
Note these detours may be altered or cancelled per the direction of the Austin Police Department and the U.S. Secret Service.
Here’s the president’s full campaign schedule today, according to the PBS News Hour Political Calendar:
- 8:00 a.m. The president departs the White House en route to Texas
- 11:30 a.m. The president arrives in San Antonio
- 1:00 p.m. The president delivers remarks at a campaign event at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, San Antonio
- 2:00 p.m. The vice president meets with a delegation of Australian leaders at the Naval Observatory
- 2:30 p.m. The president delivers remarks at a campaign event at a private residence in San Antonio
- 3:50 p.m. The president departs San Antonio for Austin
- 5:00 p.m. The vice president will attend an event for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee
- 5:50 p.m. The president delivers remarks at a campaign event at Austin Music Hall
- 7:55 p.m. The president delivers remarks at a campaign event at a private residence in Austin
- 9:10 p.m. The president departs Austin, Texas en route to Washington