Mon December 2, 2013
Get Involved Spotlight: WeViva
WeViva, established in 2011, is a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization, that provides affordable and accessible fitness and nutrition programs to people in low-income communities throughout Austin.
WeViva targets adults in the communities and provide the classes on-site and completely free of charge to the participants. Our goal is to eliminate common obstacles to getting healthy such as access, affordability and childcare.
A rapidly growing organization, WeViva is the only non-profit in Austin, targeting adults, that provides these services to existing establishments that value the health of their community residents. WeViva offers over 20 Zumba, Yoga, Strength Training and Nutrition classes per week at 14 sites around the Austin area, all which are bilingual and are taught in a culturally appropriate manner. Since starting in January 2011, more than 1600 people have participated in WeViva classes.
WeViva aims to reduce some of the barriers that individuals, mainly women, face when making the decision to prioritize their wellness. In doing so, they not only improve a woman’s health, but produce healthy role models for children and families. By encouraging healthy eating and exercise in the populations most in need, WeViva makes an impact in the lives of individuals regardless of their income and socioeconomic status. For more information about the program, visit weviva.org or become a part of our social media community: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
How You Can Help!
By donating just $25, you can help one woman attend an entire 6 week WeViva fitness session. All classes are delivered on-site and free of charge to her, with childcare available at some locations. WeViva is also currently looking for volunteers in the following areas:
· Management Coordinator at Fitness and Nutrition Sites: volunteers would keep track of attendance at various fitness sites and manage waivers and any documentation that is distributed.
· Childcare Providers will supervise participant’s children and organize fun and interactive activities for the kids.
· Administrative Volunteer at office in central Austin will work directly with the Executive Director to help drive WeViva’s mission.
· Web Developer familiar with Word Press
· Communications Volunteer will be in charge of all marketing and public relation tasks including managing social media platforms, writing newsletters, and supporting administrative activities
· Translator: must be fluent in Spanish
· Event Planning Volunteers will seek and manage fundraising events for WeViva.
For more information about volunteering, please contact Carolyn Haney, Founder/Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at www.weviva.org to donate, find more information, and get involved!