Fri February 4, 2011
Snow Closures, Delays for February 4, 2011
Updated at 12:15 pm: People are out in the streets playing in the snow this morning! A winter storm warning is in effect until noon today. Austin police say there is ice on some roads and that some cars are slipping and sliding. APD says there are more accidents out there this morning than usual. Police have closed eastbound SH 71 in the 19500 block, due to icy conditions. APD have also barricaded the intersection of East 8th St. and San Jacinto Blvd., because of icy condition at that hilly intesection
Most streets in Austin are clogged with compacted snow and ice, making for very slick conditions. In the past 12 hours, Austin Fire Department has responded to about 100 collisions.
AFD reports 50 alarm activations, many of which were related to broken water pipes. Learn how to shut off the water to your home by watching this video.
There are some flight delays and cancellations at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport, as well. Check with ABIA or your carrier for up-to-date information. Capital Metro busses are operating on a Sunday service level. No MetroRail or UT shuttles service today.
Read our list of closures here:
Austin/Travis County emergency management officials are encouraging people to stay home to avoid dangerous road conditions. You can check emergency updates and road closures here. Central Texas school districts are closing or delaying classes today:
- The Austin Independent School District is closed today. All after-school and extra-curricular activities are cancelled.
- Bastrop ISD is closed today.
- Dell Valle ISD closed today.
- Dripping Springs ISD is closed today.
- Eanes ISD is closed
- Elgin ISD is closed
- Georgetown ISD is closed today
- Giddings ISD is closed today
- Hutto ISD classes are cancelled today
- Jarrell ISD classes are cancelled today
- All Lake Travis ISD schools are closed today
- All Leander ISD schools will be closed today.
- Liberty Hill ISD is closed
- Manor ISD is closed today
- All New Braunfels ISD campuses are closed today
- All Pflugerville and Round Rock ISD schools are closed today
- All San Marcos CISD schools are closed today
- Hays CISD schools are closed today
- Marble Falls ISD is closed today
- Burnet CISD closed today
Higher ed closures:
- UT Austin is closed today
- All Austin Community College campuses are closed today
- Concordia University is closed
- Texas State University is closed
- Southwestern University in Georgetown is closed
- Huston-Tillotson University is closed
- St. Edward's University is closed
- All City of Austin offices are closed today
- All City of Round Rock offices are closed today
- All City of Pflugerville offices are closed today
- All City of San Marcos offices are closed today
- Austin Children's Museum is closed
- Austin-Travis County Integral Care offices are closed, but essential care is open
- The Texas Attorney General's offices in Austin are closed
- The Austin Children's Museum is closed today
- All Hays County government offices are closed today
- ESC Region XIII offices are closed today
- Texas Parks and Wildlife Austin Headquarters and other facilities are closed today.
- Texas Department of Motor Vehicles Austin-area offices open at noon today
- Texas Department of Public Safety offices will open at 10:00 am
- The State Comptroller's office is closed today
- The IRS offices at the Federal Building downtown are closed
- Travis County offices are closed today
- Travis County's Central Health offices are closed
- Williamson County offices are closed
- The City of Kyle will open offices at 10:00 am today
- Department of Public Safety offices in Travis and Williamson Counties are closed
- The Texas Education Agency is closed today
- All Texas Workforce Commission offices in the Austin area are closed
- Fort Hood is open, but the base commander has authorized "liberal leave" for non-essential civilian personnel
- The Bob Bullock Museum and IMAX are closed
- Meals on Wheels and More is closed, no volunteers are needed today
- Saturday's "Cupid's Chase" 5K race in Georgetown is canceled.
- Tonight's ZACH Theatre's production of "Red Hot Patriot: The Kick-Ass Wit of Molly Ivins" will go on, as scheduled.
Capital Metro is operating on a Sunday level of service. No UT shuttle are running. MetroRail is also not running.