The holidays can be a difficult time of year for older people. Many live alone and are on fixed incomes.
The local Home Instead Senior Care offices are encouraging Central Texans to “Be a Santa to a Senior” by purchasing gifts for area seniors in need.
The group has identified more than 1,000 older people in the Austin area who could use a little holiday cheer. Many have lost a spouse or don’t have immediate family in the area.
“They get lonely and, just like all of us, at times seniors can get depressed and with this season of giving and the holiday spirit, the least we can do is give back and support all of the seniors in the area," said Michael Gonzalez is Director of Operations and Marketing with Home Instead in Austin.
Gift suggestions include slippers, blankets and toiletries.
Here's a list of gift drop off locations in Austin:
- Home Instead Senior Care at 510 S. Congress Ave.
- Home Instead Senior Care at 3307 Northland Dr.
- Meals On Wheels at 3307 E. 5th St.
- Walgreens at 12550 Metric Blvd.
- Walgreens at 5345 N. IH 35
- Walgreens at 6911 Ranch Rd. 620
- Walgreens at 5600 S. 1st St.
The drop off boxes will be located in the Walgreens cosmetics department. The last day to drop off gifts is Dec. 18.