Mon January 3, 2011
No More Camping Out At AISD Headquarters To Make Transfer Request
The Austin Independent School District began accepting transfer requests today, and for the first time, AISD is using a lottery system to award transfers. The end of the longstanding first-come-first-served system means parents no longer have to camp overnight outside school district headquarters to improve their child's odds of having the transfer request granted.
"This will be just a much more family friendly process," AISD spokesperson Carmen Luevanos told KUT News.
Parents can submit the request for a school transfer to the Office of Student Services at AISD headquarters, located at 1111 West Sixth between 7:45 and 4:45. The lottery will be held on January 31.
The school district has frozen some schools to transfers because they are already over capacity.
SCHOOLS TO BE FROZEN TO TRANSFERS IN 2011-2012:
- High Schools (5):Akins, Anderson, Austin, Bowie, McCallum
- Middle Schools (3):Kealing, Murchison, O.Henry
- Elementary Schools (28):Andrews, Baranoff, Barrington, Blazier, Brentwood, Bryker Woods, Casey, Casis, Clayton, Cook, Doss, Graham, Harris, Hart, Hill, Kiker, Langford, Lee, Linder, Odom, Patton, Perez, Pickle, Pillow, Rodriguez, Summitt, Walnut Creek and Wooldridge.
SCHOOLS TO BE MONITORED AND POSSIBLY FROZEN IN 2011-2012
- High Schools (1):LBJ
- Middle Schools (2):Bedichek and Burnet
- Elementary Schools (14):Baldwin, Cowan, Davis, Gullett, Highland Park, Houston, Jordan, Kocurek, Mathews, McBee, Menchaca, Mills, Widen and Zilker.