Map: Events Close Roads This Weekend
Several events are taking place around downtown Austin this weekend. That means road closures and detours for drivers.
Below is a list of events causing closures:
- The Texas Book Festival is back! But, along with all the books come lane closures around the Texas State Capitol. There will be both full and partial lane closures stretching north and south from 9th to 13th streets, and east to west from Lavaca Street to San Jacinto Boulevard starting Thursday at 9 a.m. and ending Sunday at 11:59 p.m. (Map)
- Happy Halloween Weekend! Expect some traffic delays as costumed revellers celebrate. Temporary road closures will begin on Saturday at 6 p.m. and last through 3 a.m. East 6th Street from Brazos Street to San Marcos Street will be shut down. IH-35 north and south bound exits for 6th Street and 8th Street will also be closed. For a complete list of road closures, click here.
- The Austin Heart Walk will close down Cesar Chavez from Guadalupe to Mopac (Loop 1) from 1 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Saturday. For a map click here.
- The Walk to End Alzheimer’s will slow down traffic in Northeast Austin in a neighborhood near Far West on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. The three-mile walk will not entail street closures but police escorts will be in place to help guide traffic along portions of the event route. (Map)
- The multi-length event, Run for the Water, will include a 10-mile run, a 5K, and a Kid’s Run. The event will be held Sunday and, to minimize traffic concerns, the events will run on a staggered schedule. Ten mile racers will begin at 7 a.m., 5K runners at 7:15 a.m., and the Kid’s Run will begin at 9 a.m. The race route will start and end at Cesar Chavez and South 1st Street and will follow along Cesar Chavez heading west to Lake Austin Boulevard and looping north along Scenic Drive, heading south along Exposition Boulevard. Partial and full street closures will encompass this route. (Map)
- Hey pet lovers! The Love-A-Bull Pittie Parade gets barking at 12 p.m. on Sunday. There will be no lane closures, but on Congress Avenue from Barton Springs Road to 4th Street, and then over to Guadalupe Street will be officer controlled between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. Festival to follow at Republic Square Park.
And there are some closures next week too:
- The Austin Symphony Orchestra Kinder Concerts will take place on Monday and Tuesday between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. each day. Riverside Drive will be closed from Lee Barton Drive to South 1st Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on both days.