Investigators probing last week's shooting at Fort Hood presented their first clear narrative today of what they think happened.
U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command's Chris Gray confirmed the shooting spree started after Spc. Ivan Lopez had a verbal altercation with a colleague over a request for leave.
"Within minutes of the altercation, the subject brandished a .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun and fired multiple rounds, killing one soldier and wounding 10 additional soldiers," Gray said.
Investigators then believe the shooter traveled to the Transportation Motor Pool building where he worked and shot and killed a soldier, then wounded two soldiers in the vehicle bay area. Gray says Lopez got back in his vehicle and drove away. While driving, he is said to have shot at soldiers in a private car, wounding one of them. He continued driving to a medical building.
"Upon entry, the subject allegedly shot and killed a soldier who was at the main entrance desk, and wounded an additional soldier," Gray said. "At this point, we do not know why he entered that building and we may never know why."
Finally, Gray said the shooter drove to a fourth building where he encountered a responding officer, who fired one shot and missed. Lopez then took his own life – eight minutes after the first 911 call regarding the incident.
A memorial service is planned for Wednesday afternoon, with President Obama expected to attend. See more details here.