Fri November 16, 2012
Austin's Formula 1 Survival Guide: Here's What You Need to Know
Just two years after the idea was first floated, Formula 1 is a go in Austin.
The U.S. Grand Prix at Elroy, Texas’ Circuit of the Americas track is this Sunday, Nov. 16. But a full weekend of practice sessions, qualifying races and more will entertain an estimated 300,000 attendees over the entire weekend.
Meanwhile, local officials and regular citizens alike are prepping for visitors. City management has activated its emergency area command to monitor traffic and public safety in conjunction with additional state and federal authorities. Regular Austinites are facing a choice: batten down the hatches and avoid the madness, or embrace it. Even without F1 tickets, the latter should be easy with events like Austin Fan Fest closing downtown streets and offering free entertainment.
Here’s a rundown of KUT News’ reporting on F1: Traffic, events, travel and more, plus the actual race itself:
- How an Actual F1 Race Works
- More Information About the Race, the Track and More
- Video: German Designers Show Off Austin's F1 Racetrack
- Map: F1-Related Street Closures
- Cap Metro Rolls Out Mobile Ticketing for F1
- Austin-Bergstrom Busy, But Not Overwhelmed, by F1
- Safety First: City Unveils Public Safety Plans for F1 Weekend
- EPA Surveying F1 Sites, On the Lookout for 'Dirty Bombs' and More
- Revving Up for F1: Austin Preps for Tens of Thousands
Partying this Weekend:
- Top Dollar Parties and Free Events Downtown
- Local Businesses Urged to Accept Foreign Currency for F1
Austin Reacts to F1:
- Video: What Does Austin Really Think of F1?
- Austin Ponders the Winning F1 Formula
- Austin, F1 and the Black Market in Human Trafficking
- The City of Austin has set up it's own F1 website, ATX Grand Prix, with info on closures, events and more.
- To learn more about the sport, you can visit the Formula 1 or Circuit of the Americas websites.
- You can also consult the Austin-American Statesman's F1 coverage and the Austin Chronicle's F1 overview.