AM Update 7/18/12
8:11 am
Wed July 18, 2012

AM Update: Leppert Endorses Dewhurst, Governor's Mansion Re-Opens, 'Linsanity' Returns to Houston

Leppert Endorses Dewhurst Following Debate

Former Dallas Mayor Tom Leppert endorsed Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst after last night's debate between Dewhurst and former Solicitor General Ted Cruz.

Cruz and Dewhurst are in a runoff for the Republican nomination to vie for retiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's seat.

During the debate in Dallas, Dewhurst and Cruz traded barbs about each other’s honesty and fitness for the senate seat. While they found some common ground in their disapproval of the current federal healthcare reform, Dewhurst, unlike Cruz, expressed support for providing assistance to the “elderly, frail, disabled and children.”

Leppert, who vied for the same seat in the May primary but placed third, says in a statement that he endorsed Dewhurst based on his understanding of the private sector and his ability to create jobs.

“David Dewhurst has that experience and it is for that reason that I endorse David Dewhurst for the U.S. Senate," Leppert says. "David has created jobs and understands the private sector. He has proven his leadership skills in the private and public sectors and will be an asset to Texas in Washington.”

Leppert garnered about 13 percent of the vote in May and may have sway with the Republican base.

Media to Tour Governor's Mansion

Governor Rick Perry and First Lady Anita Perry are giving the media a first look at the rebuilt and restored Texas Governor’s Mansion this morning.

The historic home was severely damaged in June 2008 when police say an arsonist set the mansion on fire with a Molotov cocktail. The Perry family was not living in the home at the time. No one was injured.

Construction crews had to repair part of the roof that collapsed in the fire and restore historic elements like the columns that line the front of the home. Last month, crews brought artwork back to the mansion.

No one was ever charged with setting the mansion on fire.

The Texas Governor’s Office website says tours will resume in the “near future.”

Knicks Pass, Houston Feeling 'Lintastic'

The Houston Rockets roster has been updated, and Jeremy Lin has officially made the 2012-2013 cut.

Late last night, Lin tweeted “Extremely excited and honored to be a Houston Rocket again!”

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey tweeted that they “plan to hang on [to Lin] this time.” Houston had previously waived Lin because the team had Goran Dragic and Kyle Lowry.

After only one season with the New York Knicks, the Rockets offered a three-year, $25 million dollar deal for the redistricted free agent. The Knicks, who already have their fair share of big contracts weighing on the books, decided not to match.  

The “Linsanity” phenomenon was born when Knicks coach Mike D’Antoni put Lin in when the team was down against the New Jersey Nets. Lin scored 25 points in the 99-92 win. Despite being out of play for six weeks due to a knee injury, Lin has proven himself an asset and the Rockets have turned back to him. Since their third consecutive absence from postseason play, the Rockets have been working on rebuilding their roster.