UPDATE at 8:20 a.m.: Radar shows much of the rain forecast for Central Texas has passed to the southeast, though there may be some leftover precipitation in some spots. The National Weather Service says a winter weather advisory is in effect in Central Texas until 1 p.m. A wind advisory is in effect until 6 p.m. Be careful on your morning commute, as ice has already been spotted on some Central Texas roads and overpasses.
Austin-Travis County EMS spokesperson Warren Hassinger tells KUT they've responded to 33 reported collisions, as of 8:00 a.m. The most problematic spots were on Research Blvd., North U.S. 183, Ranch Road 620 and SH-71 West in the early morning hours today. KUT is keeping an eye on any delays/and or closures.
- The UT Austin and Austin Community College campuses are open and operating on a normal schedule
- City of Austin offices are open today
- AISD is open and and on a regular schedule
- The City of Round Rock is open
- The City of Pflugerville is open
- The City of San Marcos is open
- Travis County is open
- Texas State University is delaying classes in San Marcos and Round Rock until 10 a.m. But the university says it is open and all employees should report to work as usual
- Hutto ISD says classes are on a normal schedule
- Killeen ISD is closed
- Pflugerville ISD is open
- Round Rock ISD is open and on a regular schedule
- San Marcos CISD is open
- Hays CISD is open
- San Saba ISD is delayed until 10 a.m., buses will run late
- Temple ISD is open
For updates from the City of Austin's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, including any road closures, click here.
Officials Urging People to Conserve Energy
Austin Energy and the the state's grid operator ERCOT are asking people to conserve energy over the next few days, especially during peak demand hours, because of the cold weather. Peak demand hours are from 6-9 a.m. and 4-8 p.m.
They want to reduce the risk of another electricity emergency or the need for more rotating power outages. People should turn off non-essential lights and appliances, and avoid running washers and dryers.
Wintry weather in north Texas means some flights between Dallas and Austin are canceled today. You can check your flight status here.