It's a new year with plenty of new resolutions. And, if your resolutions involve saving money, getting active and/or catching more live music, we've got just the thing: Free Week, a magical time of year when free music fills the streets of Austin for half a fortnight.
With that in mind, we've put together a list of the shows to check out in this year's annual installment.
Thurs. Jan 2:
- Royal Forest, Ferguson MO, Reservations at the Belmont, 8 pm
- Them Duqaines, Horse Opera, Kathryn Legendre at the White Horse, 9 pm
Friday Jan. 3:
- What Made Milwaukee Famous, Hard Proof, Good Field, Painted Redstarts at the Mohawk outside, 7 pm
- Spiritual Waves, Residual Kid, Casual Strangers, The Harms, Chancellor at the Mohawk inside, 7 pm
- Hundred Visions, Bobby Jealousy, Young Girls, Gang Sign, The Golden Ghetto at Hotel Vegas, 9 pm
- Hello Wheels, Possessed By Paul James, El Campo, Sour Bridges at Stubb's inside, 8 pm
- BodyRock ATX, Mente Clara at the Sahara Lounge, 7 pm
- James Hand at the Continental Club, 6:30 pm
Saturday Jan. 4:
- Ringo Deathstarr, The Boxing Lesson, Purple, Nation States at the Belmont, 8pm
- Utopiafest Showcase with Milezo, 365 Colours at The Swan Dive, 9 pm
- Boss Battle, Megafauna, My Empty Phantom, Little Radar, Fulton Read at Holy Mountain, 9 pm
Sunday Jan. 5:
- The Bread, Sour Bridges, The Baker Family, Berkshire Hounds, Summer Swells, Ali Holder at Holy Mountain, 9 pm
- Heybale with Redd & Earl & Dallas, The Wagoneers at the Continental Club, 7:30 pm
Monday Jan. 6
Tuesday Jan. 7:
- Speak, Hikes, Field Dress, Hereticks, Brotherhood Electric at Holy Mountain, 9 pm
- Tia Carrera, Think No Think, Hamburguesa, Brothers Collateral at Hotel Vegas, 9 pm
Wednesday Jan. 8:
- Bleu French Laundry presents Watch Out for Rockets, Rescue Mission, Dirtlegs, After Hours, Flemish Giant at the Sahara Lounge, 9 pm
Thursday Jan. 9:
- Mighty Mountain, Major Major Major, Yum at the Mohawk inside, 7 pm
- Sphynx, Goldspine, Corduroi with Selva at the Mohawk outside, 7 pm
Friday Jan. 10:
- The Glass Elevator Shoots into the Sky Goodbye Party with La Migra, Tiger Waves, Shivery Shakes, Residual Kid, The Sour Notes, Daniel Francis Doyle at Cheer Up Charlies, 8 pm
Keep in mind, the "free" in Free Week typically applies to those of drinking age. So, if you're under 21, be prepared to pay a few bucks for admittance for some shows.
Check out Showlist Austin for a more comprehensive list of shows.