Get Involved Spotlight: Youth2Seniors
Youth2Seniors is a local organization whose mission is to create intergenerational programs that partner local youth and seniors within the community to enhance each other’s lives and learning experience.
These programs are designed to:
- Engage local youth in volunteer opportunities within their community.
- Youth will have opportunities to participate as team members or leaders.
- Leaders will be given increased mentor and leadership opportunities.
- Enhance the lives of senior citizens by providing them with the opportunities to share and work with local youth.
- Unite youth with Seniors to partner together and build a two-way relationship.
As an organization, Youth2Seniors has 5 primary focus areas:
- Intergenerational Art – participants range from 5-95+ in art classes that are held in assisted living facilities. Topics range from fine arts to crafts. Seniors and youth sit side-by-side, but work on their own projects. Classes are led by an experienced art teacher and encourage interaction between participants.
- Bear H.U.G.s – our Bears Handmade by United Generations program is a unique giving program. Youth and Seniors work together to make stuffed animals that are then distributed to children in foster care/emergency shelters and seniors with dementia. This program is being expanded to include additional giving opportunities.
- Quarterly Events – throughout the year we sponsor several events including dance recitals, trick-or-treating, Easter visits, and more.
- Special Projects – each year the Youth2Seniors board selects two special projects to complete such as remodeling activity rooms, creating computer labs in assisted living facilities, etc.
- Intergenerational Day – this annual event is a combined fundraiser and community awareness day. Participants do everything from test their age IQ, go through an aging experience, build a family tree, make crafts, read stories with residents and much more. We also raise funds through a silent auction during this event.
What makes us unique:
Programs are of no cost to any participants. Fundraising is kept completely separate from our programs. We have no paid staff or facilities. Approximately 80% of our funding goes directly into our programs. Programs are truly inclusive of all ages (for youth and seniors). We have frequent active participants from age 3-97 years old. Some programs range from the ages of 0-104. Offerings are scalable and unique to each engagement. Programs will provide equal benefits to youth and seniors.
- 500+ people served in Travis, Williamson & Hays County
- 150 bears were made and distributed to local police departments, 3 children’s shelters, and seniors with dementia.
- Participants in our giving program made stockings for 20 children in shelters.
- Programs included infants up to 103 years old
- 25 Art classes held
- Completed a ‘make-over’ of a local activity room including new furniture and supplies.
- Youth2Seniors successfully sponsored a proclamation to have Intergenerational Month recognized by Governor Perry for the State of Texas
- 1st ever Intergenerational Day raises over $5,000.
- Make and distribute 500 bears in our Bear H.U.G.s program
- Increase our art programs
- Hold the biggest Intergenerational Day yet in October 2013
- Select a low income assisted living facility for our annual special project
How Building a bear turned into an ongoing relationship with kids from helping hands home and seniors at the pavilion.
How YOU can get involved:
We have needs for two types of volunteers. Our adult volunteers help facilitate our events or donate other skills to the organization. We also need youth participants (ages 0-18) to participate in our programs. In order to find out more about how you may get involved, visit our website or email us at email@example.com.