Shows Galore: Austin Music Minute Recommendations for This Weekend
As host of the Austin Music Minute, I can approach this situation in one of two ways. One: I am eternally grateful because there are so many wonderful shows coming up, thank you all, you’re making my job a lot easier.
And two: I CAN’T BE IN SEVENTEEN DIFFERENT PLACES AT ONCE! ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME?? (faints)
However, I’ve said before that this is a great problem to have. Live Music Capital, represent. Take a gander at all of the great gigs and fests to check out this weekend. Plenty to choose from, kids.
- Psychedelic Light and Sound lays out the ultra cool trippy-drippy vibe today at 29th St. Ballroom, 2906 Fruth St. Crazy good. Featured bands include quite a handful of my faves like The Boxing Lesson, Cause In Effect, The Asteroid Shop, La Migra, Black Tabs and many more.
- My friend and colleague Jennifer Marchand of Bleu French Laundry knows how to put together some shows, and this one is blowing my mind. It’s the Some Girls Tattoo You Black and Blue Rolling Stones Album Hoot tonight at 7 p.m. at the Sahara Lounge, 1413 Webberville Rd. So many awesome local bands covering songs from each of those albums. Smoke and Feathers, The Ripe, English Teeth, The Memphis Strange, and lots more.
- Here’s another crazy good time, spread out over two days. The Lonestar Roots Review is goin’ down today and tomorrow at the Hole In the Wall, 2538 Guadalupe. The list of bands just about made my heart go all a-flutter. East Cameron Folkcore, Mike & The Moonpies, Guns of Navarone, Mrs. Glass, Shakey Graves, Christy Hays & Her Sunday Best, and many more. Proceeds benefit the Veterans in the Arts Project.
- The Vagabond Collective does it again, mate. It’s wild. It’s wonderful. It’s the Wild Frontier Fest, tomorrow at The Mohawk, 912 Red River. Doors open at noon, and it’s non-stop performances by a mix of local and touring bands, including Baths, Mother Falcon, What Made Milwaukee Famous, Speak, White White Lights, Zlam Dunk, and more.
- On today’s AMM, I put on some Sixteen Deluxe. And it was LOUD. Although I didn’t know him very well, I sincerely believe Mr. Brent Grulke would’ve wanted it that way. Make way for Grulke Fest: A Celebration of Brent, tomorrow night at 6 p.m. at ACL Live at The Moody Theater, 310 Willie Nelson Blvd. Sixteen Deluxe is one of the bands performing, along with the reunited True Believers, Doctors’ Mob, Fastball, Glass Eye, The Reivers, and more. One massive party with friends.
Pick and choose accordingly. I know you’ll find something that works perfectly for you. Now, please point the way to the limo driver or something. I’ve got lots to do here, folks. Cheers.