KUT Public Media Studios Fact Sheet – KUT Radio 90.5
The KUT Public Media Studios, to be completed in summer 2012, will host the public radio station of the future—a highly visible and interactive broadcast, production and community engagement center that will become a daily destination for robust and informative discussions of critical issues, unique live musical performances and cultural experiences—all while engaging with public radio content and personalities.
The KUT Public Media Studios will enable KUT to be visible and accessible to the community. The new facilities will demonstrate KUT’s work from the inside out, showcasing KUT as one of the most creative, exciting and community-focused public media organizations in the world.
The KUT Public Media Studios are the embodiment of KUT’s mission to develop, discover and deliver content and experiences that encourage engagement, deepen understanding and connect citizens with each other. The space will emphasize creative collaboration and increase community interaction by bringing together creative and editorial production, and delivery of content in one interactive, dynamic space.
Features of the two-story, 20,000-square-foot, LEED-designed KUT Public Media Studios include:
- A staffed lobby with visible KUT brand and donor recognition
- Studio 1A—one of the most famous recording and broadcasting studios in Austin—will emerge from its rarely seen basement location to become Performance Studio 1A, a 72-seat, glass-walled space that will incorporate the community into some of KUT’s nearly 300 annual in-studio performances.
- The Community Engagement Room will promote daily interaction between KUT and the public via forums, workshops and events.
- The producer commons will be an open and technologically advanced work area that brings together—for the first time—KUT’s newsroom, on-air hosts, music producers, online producers and interns to collaborate.
- Each studio, control room and producer desktop will be networked together—making every corner of the station part of a powerful integrated media production facility.
- The facilities will double KUT’s current capacity to provide professional-level internships, offering critical hands-on education on the role of responsible journalism.
- Two on-air control rooms—located on the same floor as the producers—will enable KUT to broadcast content on multiple channels.
- For the first time, KUT will have a green room to provide a welcoming and comfortable space for artists, authors, scholars, politicians and newsmakers to prepare for their appearances.
- The street-level plaza and outdoor stage will be connected by a performance lawn and provide a view into Performance Studio 1A.
- A 300-seat university auditorium accessible to KUT to host lectures, performances and public discussions of critical community issues.
Location: Northeast corner of Dean Keeton and Guadalupe streets, across from the College of Communication (formerly parking lot F27)
Architect and contractor: Lawrence Group Architects of Austin is the lead architect in association with construction administrator Graeber, Simmons & Cowan. Flintco, LLC is the construction manager for the project.
For media queries contact: Erin Geisler (512) 475-8071