Get Involved-Spotlight: Austin Clubhouse
Mission Statement: Austin Clubhouse is an organization dedicated to the recovery of men and women with mental illness. By providing opportunities for our members to work, learn, and live fully, as well as to contribute their talents to a community of mutual support, our mission is to make the dream of recovery a reality.
Four Guaranteed Rights of Membership:
A right to a place to come
Membership is open to anyone who has been diagnosed with a mental illness at some point in their life.
A right to meaningful relationships
Members work side-by-side for the development of the clubhouse, sharing experiences and skills with one another.
A right to meaningful work
Clubhouse work arises from the needs of the community as a whole.
A right to a place to return
Membership is for a lifetime. You’re always welcome at the clubhouse.
Five Requirements for Membership
-Have a Mental Health Diagnosis
-Are 18 or older
-Have Housing (at the time one joins)
-Are Following a Treatment Plan
-Are not a Danger to Self or Others
Contributing your time and talents to the Clubhouse community is a great way to make a difference in Austin. We ask that our volunteers have a spirit of encouragement, a commitment to teamwork, and a knack for seeing the best in others. Volunteer opportunities at Austin Clubhouse are constantly evolving with the needs and ideas of our membership. If you have an idea for how to get involved that you do not see listed here, please contact us! Currently, we are looking for the following:
• Ongoing volunteers are needed on a regular basis on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays at the Clubhouse to work one on one and in small groups with members on computer literacy, GED preparation, resumes, and searching for jobs.
• Someone to teach a 30 minute course on health, wellness and nutrition once a week on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
• A yoga, pilates or any exercise instructor to teach a class on Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
• English, Math, Science, and/or Social Studies tutors to assist our education unit in helping members meet their educational goals.
• A nurse to help our members test for heart disease, hypertension, diabetes and bone density loss, plus other medical conditions.
Austin Clubhouse is funded with donations from private citizens, foundations and businesses. If you would like to donate, please feel free to donate online at austinclubhouse.org or by sending a check to: PO Box 300568, Austin, Texas 78703.
SPREAD THE WORD
Come visit! Come by to take a tour and meet our members. We love when people come by and see what we are all about.
Join our mailing and/or email list – if you would like to join our list, please email email@example.com or call us at 512-925-5877.
Follow us on Twitter: AustinClubhouse
Find us on Facebook: Austin Clubhouse
Tell a Friend!
Tuesday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
4425 Red River, Austin TX 78751
*Inside Red River Church, on the southeast corner of Red River and 45th Street
Nearby Bus Routes: #10, #161, #338