Get Involved-Spotlight: Bookspring
BookSpring instills children with a love of reading and promotes books as a means to success.
BookSpring’s vision is a community where all children have the opportunity to become literate.
What We Do…
BookSpring provides essential literacy programs based on distinct program models to create a continuum of literacy development. Through our programs, we:
- Reach families at the very earliest point in their child’s development and encourage and support them in taking advantage of the critical early months and years of brain development.
- Focus on increasing the literacy level of our greater community by changing the literacy-related behaviors of parents and students.
- Make book sharing and reading aloud an integral part of family activities so that children grow up from infancy with books and a love of reading.
In 2010, BookSpring served over 39,000 children and families in the Greater Austin area through 24 medical clinics, 12 infant/pre-school programs, 29 elementary schools, 5 high schools and in the home-based programs of our nonprofit partners.
Reading Is Fundamental (RIF)
RIF motivates children and families to read together through book ownership, motivational activities, and family involvement in children’s reading.
RIF is implemented in childcare centers, preschools, elementary schools, high schools (with expectant and parenting teens), and through home-based parenting programs of other nonprofits.
Reach Out and Read
Reach Out and Read promotes early literacy and school readiness in pediatric exam rooms by giving new books to children and advice to parents about the importance of reading aloud.
BookSpring’s Parent BookClubs
Parent BookClubs are six week literacy training programs that improve literacy skills of both parents and children. Through role modeling, BookSpring encourages parents to read in family settings with their children to enhance their ability to succeed in school.
This program places donated children’s books into the hands of children in our community. Donated books are carefully sorted and distributed to children in low income medical clinics, community outreach events, children’s shelters, faith based organizations, and libraries in economically disadvantaged areas.
Volunteer Opportunities with BookSpring
“As a volunteer, there may not be a paycheck, but what I get back in excitement in children’s eyes and joy in their voices, is worth a million dollars.”-Olivia Candela
Reading Is Fundamental Books for Ownership
Are you enthusiastic about reading? Do you enjoy spending time with children? If so, you might be the perfect volunteer for the Reading Is Fundamental Books for Ownership Program! Volunteers have the opportunity to:
- Visit schools on RIF Day, assist the librarians with motivational activities and read aloud to a group of children.
- Encourage children to choose their own “forever book.”
- Be silly and make reading FUN!!
- Volunteer during school hours, Monday through Friday, in the Austin area.
Reach Out and Read
Want to put a big smile on a little face? Our volunteers help the Reach Out and Read program provide young readers with gently used children’s books through 23 Austin area medical clinics.
Volunteers have the opportunity to:
- Conduct your own book drive, a perfect opportunity for your group, business, or organization.
- Help us to sort and label donated books.
- Deliver books to clinics around Austin.
- Volunteer Monday to Friday between 9:00- 4:00
While we’re big on books, we’re small on staff. The only way we can serve over 50,000 children each year is with the enthusiastic support of volunteers like you. We have a wide range of opportunities available, from professional to general office help.
For information on volunteering with BookSpring, go to www.bookspring.org.