Get Involved-Spotlight: AGE-Austin Groups for the Elderly
“There are only four kinds of people in the world: those who have been caregivers, those who currently are caregivers, those who will be caregivers, and those who need caregivers.” -Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter
Every year our organization receives thousands of requests for help:
- Sometimes it starts with a request for a wheelchair.
- Sometimes it is a need for more help to care for their loved one.
- Frequently it begins with confusion, tears and heartache.
- Always we are there to listen, guide, support-and help them connect to what they need.
AGE Impact:AGE provides direct assistance to seniors and their families through our unique programs, including:
The Caregiver Resource Center serves the elderly, adults with disabilities, their caregivers, families and health care providers with information, consultation, guidance and support. In the last year:
- 2,889 caregivers and seniors received the information and education they needed to better care for their older loved one, specific to their family situation, at absolutely no charge.
- 330 family caregivers joined AGE for free educational events on eldercare issues, ranging from Alzheimer’s disease to health insurance information.
The Durable Medical Equipment Lending Program provides free equipment to seniors and people with disabilities across Central Texas at no charge.
Working with other social service agencies and non-profit resources, items like wheelchairs, walkers and shower chairs are donated by the community and reused, assisting with the mobility and safety of older adults.
- AGE loans out over 750 pieces of durable medical equipment for free each year. Empowering seniors and people with disabilities to enjoy freedom and independence again in their own community.
- Get Involved: Volunteer needed to deliver and pick up equipment.
- The time commitment is flexible, as donation pick up and delivery will vary week to week, depending on the current demand from the community.
- Great opportunity for someone who has a busy schedule but would like to contribute to the community while running errands or on their way to work or school.
Elderhaven Adult Day Health Centers of Central Texas provides comprehensive, therapeutic, and licensed adult day care to allow seniors to continue living independently, as an alternative to premature nursing home placement.
- Elderhaven provides over 125,000 hours of meaningful activities for older adults and people with disabilities, preventing devastating in-home falls, isolation and depression, and offering cognitive stimulation for individuals with memory loss.
- Get Involved:
- Bring your talents to the seniors: play a musical instrument, participate in games, art projects and talk to seniors 1 on 1 or help celebrate holidays and birthdays.
- Adult Day Health Center is open weekdays 7-5:30.
- Great volunteer opportunity for a family or youth group.
SeniorNet Computer Learning offers basic to advanced hands-on educational computer classes for older adults, taught by volunteers in a peer-based setting. In the last year:
- 180 classes were provided to the community, with courses ranging from basic computer skills to Digital Photography, iPhone and social media.
- Get Involved: Volunteer Instructor needed-weekdays at Central Austin location
- Potential instructors should have an interest in working with older adults and the patience to work with individuals at various skill levels in technology.
- Instructors with teaching or education experience are highly valued. Knowledge of technology is helpful but not required. We’ll teach you!
The Historic AGE Building provides low cost office space and shared services for 22 emerging not-for-profit agencies. In 2010, the Historic AGE Building celebrated 102 years of service to the community.
512-451-4611 or firstname.lastname@example.org