Get Involved-Spotlight: Foundation Communities
Affordable Homes + Financial Stability Creating housing where families succeed
Since 1990, Foundation Communities has been creating housing where families succeed. We help provide:
- Attractive, safe, affordable apartment or duplex homes for 2,000 families
- Neighborhood asset
- Award-winning green builder
- Average family: single working mother with two children-$26,000 income
Helping the Homeless
- 345 efficiency apartments for single adults facing homelessness
- 62 apartments with case management for vulnerable families
- Guidance for facing such challenges as chronic health issues, disability and low literacy
Learning in a Community
- Free after-school & summer programs for 800 children of working parents
- Focus on academics & healthy habits
- Classes to increase literacy and financial stability for 300 adults
Building Financial Stability
- Free income-tax preparation for 20,000+ who received more than $26 million in tax refunds
- Savings accounts provide 2-to-1 match for 125 families to go to college, buy a home or start a business
- One-on-one financial coaching and courses in money management and home buying
“Compared to where I was before, this is heaven.”—Felicia, single mother and resident
“With about 80% of revenue coming from operations, Foundation Communities has a business-like approach that makes it easy for my foundation to invest.”—Alan Topfer, Topfer Family Foundation
Foundation Communities is among the top 15 nonprofits in Austin, ranked by total revenue ($19,000,000 in 2009), and among the top 10, ranked by total assets
- The holidays will be tough for many Austin families. With hours cut in many service jobs, families are having a harder time making ends meet. We expect for more families than ever to apply for help this holiday season. Foundation Communities hopes to provide 300 families and single adults with holiday cheer and assistance. Your help is needed now to assist with outreach and co-ordination efforts beginning in September.
- Trainings are now underway to become a Financial Coach. You do not need to be a financial professional to work one-on-one with clients to reduce their debt, improve their credit score or create a household budget. Train in August and September and begin right away.
- Volunteers are needed to train as Intake and Tax Preparer. Training is in December, with shifts starting in January.
- Provide a “Welcome Home” for an Austin family that has been homeless or for a single adult. As they enter FC’s supportive housing program you can help set up their new apartment with much-needed household items.
- Attend our annual fundraising luncheon “A Place To Call Home” on October 27th and bring a friend.
SPREAD THE WORD-HOST AN OPEN HOUSE! Invite your friends and colleagues to attend our monthly box-lunch program. It’s easy! It’s free! You will leave the Open House impressed and inspired!
For more information on these and other volunteer opportunities, contact Day Fariss at 512-610-4017 or firstname.lastname@example.org.