Top 5: SXSWi Panels for Video Gamers
Besides the ScreenBurn area at the SXSW arcade this year, video games are getting some love! There are some fantastic panels that will be discussing different avenues of the video game world. Here’s my top 5 for 2010.
5. Social Justice and Video Games (3/16, 3:30 p.m.) – There is no question that video gaming has become a big part of society. As the saying goes…”with great power comes great responsibility.” This panel will look at racism and sexism in the design of games. It is a conversation with developers and gamers as they look towards a solution.
4. Anyone Can Create a Video Game (3/15, 9:00 a.m.) – Got an idea? Think it will work? This panel is set to talk about developing game creation technologies for the everyday gamer so they can try their hand at creating a video game. This panel includes Michael Augstin, CEO of Gendai Games who’s company is working to find a way for those outside of the tech culture to become creative forces.
3. Pervasive Games and Playful Experiences: Rendering the Real World (3/16, 11:00 a.m.) – Toby Barnes is the managing director of Mudlark, which is cross between a TV company, a web company and a gaming company. Barnes is set to talk about new forms of games, including the future of mobile gaming and pervasive gaming.
2. Video Games, the New, New Media for Music (3/15, 11:00 a.m.) – If you didn’t know,Bioshock 2 comes out this week. Not only is there a game release, 2k Games is releasing digital and LP versions of the soundtrack. That’s where video games are headed! This panel will discuss video games as a new platform for music and how the games are creating new opportunities for the classical composer, the hip hop mogul and everyone in between.
1. Power-Ups & Press: How the Game Media Impacts the Gaming Industry (3/16, 12:30 p.m.) – This panel looks to be a fun one! A panel of video game media members will discuss how the media has changed the gaming world and where they think it will be in the future.