Get Involved-Spotlight: Military Children Education Coalition
Vision: To serve as a model of positive leadership and advocacy for ensuring quality educational opportunities for all military children affected by mobility, family separation, and transition.
Mission: To ensure quality educational experiences for all military children.
- Provide responsive and relevant support systems, resources, and products.
- Expand the MCEC’s outreach through engagement, advocacy and partnerships.
- Execute a strategic communications plan.
- Build a strong, sustainable and financially sound organization.
History/Background: The Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) is a 501 c(3) non-profit, world-wide organization. The MCEC’s mission is to ensure quality educational opportunities for all military children (Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserves) affected by mobility, family separation, and transition. A model of positive leadership and advocacy, the MCEC addresses the unique challenges of military-connected children, including separations because of deployment, lack of educational continuity due to frequent moves, and the potential for grief, trauma, and loss.
The MCEC was formed in 1998 and is headquartered in Central Texas. As a result of our significant experience in state, national, and international arenas, the MCEC’s expertise and credibility in serving military-connected children around the world is without question. The MCEC organization includes our twenty-member volunteer board of directors; our volunteer national advisory committee; the MCEC’s science advisory board; and hundreds of volunteers around the nation and globe. The MCEC also has 15 full-time staff employees and numerous part-time and contract staff.
Programs: The MCEC’s experience, combined with national, state, and local connections, adds to the effectiveness of the programs. These programs range from: supporting military-connected children and their parents; supporting military-connected children through trauma and loss; supporting the professional communities; recognizing the amazing accomplishments of those we serve; providing direct support through technology tools; and providing direct support through the MCEC’s publications, all of which are focused on achieving positive outcomes for military-connected children.
Volunteers Needed! Volunteers are always needed and are instrumental in enabling the Military Child Education Coalition to impact the lives of our military-connected children! If you are interested in joining the growing network of volunteers who are working with the MCEC, please go to our website at www.militarychild.org and download the volunteer information form (PDF).
Check out the list below to see where you can best lend your time and talents at MCEC:
- Administrative: Data entry and word processing; stamp, stuff and seal; shred/collate documents; assemble name tags; prepare training packets and supplies for shipping
- Children: Submit artwork, poems and stories; make a video about military life
- Corporate: Loan executives and provide release time; inform us about grant and funding opportunities; build your team through volunteering; serve as readers and judges for awards and scholarships
- Focus Groups: Give us your opinion; help test training games; read and review training materials; formulate the feedback
- Professional: Lend your expertise; write an article, be a guest speaker; serve in advisory capacity; recommend resources; add MCEC to your resource list
- Support: Technical support (may require some travel); assist the training team; drive volunteers to assignments; chaperone children and teens
- Students: Join the student-to-student team; update info from your schools to School Quest; earn community service hours; experience Service Learning
- Talented: Share your talents as: artists, writers, editors, singers and/or photographers
- Trainers: Facilitate professional development institutes; learn and deliver pre-designed learning modules; travel to military installations and communities
- Virtual: Data entry; research and evaluations; bloggers – write about military life; forward stories of interest relating to military families; use your contact list to promote local events
Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)
108 East FM 2410, Suite D
Harker Heights, TX 76548
Phone: 254.953.1923 Fax: 254.953.1925